Wednesday 7 December 2011

What are those words for?


"My tale is done. See the mouse run. Catch it, whoever can, and then you can make a great big cap out of its fur."

Is it just me, or is that a totally random way to end "Hansel and Gretel"? I mean, there was no mention of a mouse in the rest of the story. Unless there was and I've forgotten.

I love the Grimm fairytales how they always get straight to the point. If there's ever any poetic description, i.e. "The moon was shining very brightly, and the white pebbles glittered in front of the house like pure silver coins", it's because the pebbles are going to play an important role in the story very shortly. In my story if I've described a beautiful sunset, it's not because the sunset is going to be of any use to the characters. It's just to put an image in the reader's mind.

With the fairytales, there is nothing said that doesn't need to be said.

At least, that was what I believed until I read about that mouse fur cap!

11 comments:

  1. I'm amazed at kid's stories. I remember going through an old book of children's stories, and realized that my mom changed the endings on most because they were so awful.

    Funny how things have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are taking a well deserved rest from writing. Cheers on the Nano finish!

    I've never read Grimm's original fairy tales but I would like to read some of Oscar Wilde's when I am done with his biography maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard that ending! But I love using recurring themes in writing. Especially fairy tales.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did actually do some editing last night *gasp* I know, shocking! But yeah, for the most part I'm slacking. Now I have two Chrysalis...no, THREE Chrysalis stories to write. argh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why that ending is there, but I love it!

    Fairy tales are really interesting to study.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like I need to read me a few of the traditional fairytales, not the Disney versions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fact that every line has a purpose in the story. Fairy tales are fascinating to study.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! I must re-read Hansel and Gretel. I don't remember the mouse part, probably because I was too traumatized over the creepy lady who invited them inside her house and tried to cook them? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How big is that mouse? If you're gonna make a great big cap gonna take more than one mouse me thinks.

    Maybe that was supposed to be an into to the next story but the giant mouse ate him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm, maybe we're missing something? Maybe it's a hidden 19th Century German way of imparting a moral?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's what I figured, Deniz - quite possibly it's something you'd have to be a 19th century German scholar to get it. hehe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!