Tuesday 14 February 2012

Is It Getting Hot In Here? blog hop - Valentine's Day!



It's Valentine's Day, and time to steam it up a bit for the Is It Getting Hot In Here? blog hop, hosted by Hope Roberson and Cassie Mae at Reading, Writing and Lovin' It. I'm sharing an excerpt with you of what I think is one of my steamier kissing scenes. In actual fact, this scene ends in romantic disaster for my characters, but I'm leaving that stuff off so as not to spoil the fun! I hope you enjoy the excerpt!

          His voice had turned soft, and as if his words had their own magic, everything was suddenly different. His smile faded, and his eyes shone with a new intensity. My breath caught with a familiar panic--the panic of knowing I might soon be washed away. I inhaled raggedly, preparing to change the subject, to turn away. Instead I stepped toward him, reaching out.
          What are you doing?! Are you insane? an inner voice yelled. And maybe I was, because I kept reaching...
          He was easy to reach, half seated as he was on the table. He was still taller, but I didn’t have to crane my neck quite so far to meet his eyes. God, those eyes... They made my head swim. I felt both hot and cold at once; my skin prickled. That warning voice kept screaming in my head, but everything else drowned it out.
          I felt his heat right before my fingertips touched down, touched his jaw, brushed upwards and back. Fire on fire. I shivered.
          Then, flash. I froze, a wave of icy coldness washing over me. I couldn’t move--not even to let him go. There was new gleam in his eyes—panic. You bloody idiot. Get away from him! I stayed frozen.
          Was that his heart I could hear beating staccato, or my own?
          In my mind the scene played out: me springing on him, smashing my mouth against his. But I couldn’t move. I stood there, hands on him, under a spell.
          Then the spell broke. “Oh shit,” I whispered, withdrawing my hands. No heat now, only cold. I withdrew my hands but then he gripped them, and a single word rushed out of him:
          “Don’t.”
          I wanted to ask him, Don’t what? but instead I shifted, drawing my face to his. I knew he was close because I could feel the sparks. Was I breathing? Was he? I couldn’t tell. My head moved a fraction, and I was sure that our mouths must now be touching. But only as my head tilted forward further did I know for sure. My lips brushed his, dragging me into the electrical storm between us.

36 comments:

  1. OMG! You perfectly captured not only a wonderful kiss, but great emotion. Glorious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kyra, glad you enjoyed the excerpt! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my lordy... that's one powerful kiss... you can see the storm coming a mile of!
    Nicely done, my friend!
    LX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tease! Happy Valentines Day and thank you for sharing - I needed that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great kiss! Thanks for sharing and Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More please! That is all. More please :) Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh ho ho! Steamy for sure! I like the sudden change from heat to ice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! And the play of fire and ice wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great internal conflict. Her longing made this hot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sparking kiss. Nice one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the "electrical storm between us." Now I'm curious about how the rest of the scene plays out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice one! Amazing how versatile kissing stories are. One common goal, multiple possibilities. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true - there are so many ways to write a kiss! I think I've written a really gross kiss before, too. haha

      Delete
  12. Wow, very cool kissing scene! Or should I say warm kissing scene. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooohh!! Love her internal dialogue here!! "Fire on fire...Dragging me into the electrical storm between us." Loved this!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, I LOVE the conflict. It makes the scene richer somehow :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was intense! I loved it!! The build up was perfect and I really want to keep reading! Awesome! Happy Valentine's day Trisha :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not much to add to the above, just echo the thoughts. Great conflict, loved the sensations of hot and cold, wonderful all around.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow, so intense. The build-up here was amazing, and i have to agree with what everyone else is saying ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Smashing my mouth against his," That is awesome, and is completely how I feel when I want to kiss a boy. Well done! I love this blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahaha!! SO good! So much tension. I held my breath the entire time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved that all the senses were engaged!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is great! I especially LOVE when he says, "Don't!" That is so powerful. Completely awesome. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I loved the end! I love that electrical storm :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks everyone - if I haven't visited your post yet, I intend to!! Crazy days have sapped me of energy but I'll slog on through! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. sparks, indeed! Love it! Where's my fan??

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey! I wanted to let you know that I tagged you in a post today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love the "electrical storm between us" at the end. So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  27. "Was I breathing? Was he?" <--- that's perfect, 'cos when there are this many emotions and 'sparks' flying around, you sometimes forget to breathe!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fantastic scene and kiss!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yummm... nice work here. Sounds like a great story! :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, this has some heat and some tension that is hard to achieve. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!