Friday 20 April 2012

A-Z ... RING






For this year's A-Z challenge, I'm sharing an A-Z list of books taken from my to-read shelf at GoodReads. For today's book starting with "R", I have selected...





R


Ring - Koji Suzuki

One night in Tokyo, four healthy teenagers die one after another of heart failure. A journalist, the uncle of one of the victims and intrigued by the coincidence, investigates and learns of a videotape that the four watched together a week before dying. Amid a series of bizarre and frightening images is a warning that the viewer will die in exactly one week unless a certain act is performed. The description of the act, of course, has been erased from the videotape, and the journalist's work to solve the mystery assumes a deadly urgency.


Why do I want to read it? I saw the remake that was released a few years ago and it creeped me out sufficiently to make me want to read the book. Sounds weird, huh? But I guess I like a creepy, scary story, even if they're not my main staple when it comes to reading! I figure I have to read this one as it's already a bit of a classic!

9 comments:

  1. I've heard awesome things about the Japanese versions (book and movie) of The Ring. Sometimes the Westernized versions just don't do an original story justice (and sometimes they do, but in this case, I hear the original is better.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew this was a book before it was a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of the TBR A-Z, Trisha! Great way to get excited for the stack of books staring me down. Would also be a good way to keep from buying new ones I'd think. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never read the book, but the movie was really, really, really scaaaaaaary! I'll never forget seeing it. The DVD even has the uncut version of the tape. I don't remember if it was a hidden feature. I still haven't watched it, years later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It could be interesting. I occasionally enjoy a good 'creepy' book. Let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea that this was a book. Those Japanese ghost stories give me the willies. The Ring movie (American version) scared the bejeezus out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was always a bit too much of a scaredy cat to watch the movie - and I think I'm a bit too scared to read the book too :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know it was a book. 0-0 I think I would rather read the book then watch the movie. Perhaps less scary that way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, the Japanese version of the film is creeepy! Never knew it was a book, too. That should be a great one for keeping you up at night!

    J.C. Martin
    A to Z Blogger

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!