Wednesday 24 April 2013

A-Z '13 - Under the Milky Way


Before I get to today's actual A-Z post, I want to mention that my previous post was my 444th! I like that number. I guess you could say I'm a fan of such harmonious-looking number sequences. Anyway, on with post #445! :)

During April a bunch of bloggers are participating in the A-to-Z blogging challenge of 2013. My theme this year is an A-to-Z list of classic Aussie tunes - either classic or just plain songs I like. Today's letter is "U" (wow, we're up to U already?!), and the super-awesome song I'm featuring is:

Under the Milky Way - The Church



This was on the only Church song I'd heard when I bought their album Starfish from a second-hand music store. Thing is, the Church are a bit legendary in Australia, though perhaps in a more "underground" way than a lot of our big names. Still, "Under the Milky Way" got this band some well-deserved recognition beyond the borders of this nation. While a lot of old-school Church fans might prefer earlier albums, Starfish is definitely one of my favourites in my collection. It did take me a while to realise it had more to offer than just this major single. But this sure is a good place to start. (Oh, and the acoustic version is stunning too)



Honourable mentions:

25 comments:

  1. Okay, we connect on this one. :) I love The Church! I have a lot of their albums (especially a fan of the older ones) and did manage to catch them in concert once. It was this song that reeled me in too. Great song choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Won't let it play in my country, think I may have heard it before though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here... can't play it. Will go check out the acoustic version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, on reaching this milestone! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful song!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't play the video, but I love the song. The Church is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BUMMER!!! I have added another link under the vid to a different vid that may work - same version, diff vid. But looks like SME has removed most of 'em. Such buggers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought Starfish on the basis of this song too. Loved it! The Church is a great band.
    And congrats on #445! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't see it here in the US, poo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. im amazed at how you're able to dig these videos up! great stuff.
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. :( (this is my sad face, because it won't play)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It won't play in my country either. :(

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hadn't heard of the group or song before your post...love it and added to my faves on youtube! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know this song. It's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. For some reason, I didn't think you'd be able to come up with as many U song titles as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Could not access the song, as well. I will pursue it later.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great song! I had to click through to the YouTube link. I'm enjoying discovering all these artists via your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd like to check out Jac Stone.
    (I didn't know The Voice had started in Aussie?)

    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  18. A beautiful song. I love hearing music that's new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Best!

    Saw them live a few years back. I'd probably have enjoyed it more if we had some nice comfy couches to lounge on, they were a bit slow, but this song was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  20. loved the Under the Milky Way song!

    ReplyDelete
  21. While I've heard "Under the Milky Way" before, the acoustic version is new to me. The simple purity of the acoustic is hypnotic.

    I'm entranced by your A to Z theme—brilliant!

    VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete
  22. enjoyed ur Blog..Trisha thanks & Smiles:)God<3U

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Trisha .. I don't know the Church .. but I love his voice and the song - now I'm listening to it .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this song, but never knew anything about it. So thank you very much for sharing! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love Sia version of this song, which I actually had no idea was a cover until this month when I researched it for my on U.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!