Monday 11 November 2013

[O&AM] Thinking about death (while not feeling depressed)


I don't really want this to be a dreary, depressing blog post, but it's a topic that's been on my list for O&AM since the beginning, and I always knew I'd get to it someday. Basically I was 17 when I first started thinking about mortality - my own and other people's. Later a friend told me this was the start of my "quarter-life crisis". A little bit early, sure, but I don't think that's particularly unusual.

The way I was at seventeen, morbidly dwelling on my inevitable demise, makes me wonder about a lot of the YA books out there. Do the teens in those books think about their own mortality? Do they get bogged down by the depressing fact of life that we're all gonna die someday? I did read one YA in recent years that dealt with heavy themes of death and abuse and all that, even though it was a funny, loveable book. Please Ignore Vera Dietz is definitely one of my favourite books ever. I briefly mentioned it back here. And I reviewed it here.

Anyway, I've had my dark times where I've been obsessed with mortality, but for the most part I've got past the obsession - the compulsion to think about it even though I never wanted to. These days I'm enjoying my life and making a lot of it, even if I'm probably not yet quite making "the most" of it. I've done some great things - travelled around the world (twice), formed strong friendships, had and lost (not-so-)great loves, released a music CD, written 11 novels, fostered homeless cats, bought a house, etc.. I will do more great things, at least that's my intention. And while I still often think about mortality - mine and other people's - 'cause I can't help it, it generally doesn't drag me down as much as it used to.

I hope this post didn't depress anyone. I just wanted to share with you a part of me that is ever-present. That's what this little series is about, after all - giving you guys the chance to know me better!


A quick NaNo update:
I hit 40k last night. Specifically, 40,346.
I wrote over 18k this weekend (0 words on Friday).
I'm still loving my story.
I still have many "meaty" scenes to write.
I think it'll wind up being a good length.
And I lurve my characters.


p.s. This is my 500th post!!!!

15 comments:

  1. I'm sure it's not uncommon for people to feel this way. I mean, I do, but you wouldn't want to go by me.
    One of my Philosophy classes in college was called 'Death'. It was a very popular class. Weird, right? Or, not very...
    Happy 500th post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)

      I can totally imagine that class being popular. Morbid curiosity, so to speak. :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats to 500 posts! And death is one of those sure things that we don't lie to think about, but will come eventually. No harm in wondering about it now and then, because it is the one thing we share in common. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true - I guess we all share birth in common, too :)

      Thanks David!

      Delete
  3. Whoa - you hit a bunch of milestones. Happy 500th post, and great job with NaNo. I'm right at the bare minimum right now with NaNo, but we'll see where I end up.

    Death is something we think about when we know of someone who has passed away. But then life intrudes again and we get caught up in the day-to-day. I think introspection is a good thing, as long as it doesn't interfere with how we're supposed to get the most out of life - as much as we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way I think it's good to get caught up in the day-to-day - better than dwelling on that which we cannot change (at least not until they invent a pill that lets us live forever. ha).

      But I also agree with you that introspection to a certain extent is worthwhile.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on #500.

    Death-obsessed teenage characters - I feel like there's a movie character, from the '80s perhaps. The name's on the tip of my tongue but I just...can't...remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly I've seen it, as an '80s child, but I'd need more clues. haha

      Delete
  5. Congrats on #500. I went through my death phase when I was 19. Now I don't think about it that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to get past the obsession phase, wouldn't you agree? :)

      Delete
  6. I think about this at times when I worry that I'm not published yet, and I wonder, if I look back on my life, what have I accomplished?! But I guess the best thing is to keep striving and creating and learning :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree - just keep striving forward and enjoying the arty craftiness :D

      Delete
  7. I think it's healthy to think about death once in a while. It helps to both appreciate life and to accept that there's no way to escape the inevitable end. I think it makes what we do while we're alive matter even more.

    Not sure if you've read Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" graphic novel series, but Death is a character in it, and reading those books helped change my perspective on death a great deal. And they're just all-around incredible reading. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit I have not read most of Gaiman's work - but I really want to! Thanks for the tip on this particular series :)

      Delete
  8. I second "The Sandman" as a worthy read. I think your post is less "morbid" and more "thoughtful and reflective," if that makes sense. Congrats on writing 500 posts, and here's to many more!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!