Wednesday 3 February 2016

IWSG #18 - First chapter editing




It's IWSG day, so I thought I'd edit this and include the badge. I think my post fits the overall "insecure" theme, because I know often first chapters can be the most challenging in novels, and the most demoralising. In my case, I almost always have to edit the crap out of them to make them passable. But it can take a while for me to get to the point of being daring enough to take big steps.

* * *


Last time I posted, I mentioned that I had switched editing projects. I mistakenly said I was working on LOST & FOUND, when in fact I'm working on ON THE OUTSIDE. Maybe this goes to show that I have a stupid amount of novels to choose from when it comes to editing, and easily get confused between them all? ;)

Anyway, yes, I'm editing ON THE OUTSIDE. I sort of jump around a bit when editing, as there are so many bits I have wanted to edit, for so long (same with all my novels). This is the result of many skims / reads of the novel draft on my Kindle, where I put all drafts for convenient reading. But the bit that most troubles me about this novel appears to be the first chapter. It's a little bloated and boring, and I've already cut a bit out of it. But the other day I was thinking maybe I should just totally condense it down, and start off with the main point of the chapter - Livia (formerly named Nora...but it was too confusing having a Nora and her best friend Nina) is about to be abandoned by her bestie. Instead of a chapter that wafts around, slowly getting to the point, why not get straight to the point?

It's funny how editing can work - sometimes you'll tweak a chapter over and over, rewrite sentences, chop out a word here & there. And then one night when you're trying to get to sleep, you'll stare into the dark and wonder if maybe you shouldn't just chop out most of the pages in that first chapter. Your chapter is feeling bloated, it's suffocating you, and it's in severe need of a good hacking.

Well, that's what happened to me the other night. I haven't got my axe out yet, but I will be reading the chapter and considering how best to wield that axe.

It feels good to be in editing mode again.

19 comments:

  1. If you need any help I could give the chapter a look and my honest opinion if you want. But I really hope you get through editing this first chapter and the rest of your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheena, that's a great offer :) I really am a perfectionist, so I would want to have the chapter to a point where I am no longer ashamed of it. But I would be happy to have you give it a read once I'm there. :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Trisha. You often hear stories of how publishers cut the whole first chapter out and the info is weaved throughout the story. I'd be happy to have a read if you want. I love editing! Like you, I have plenty of my novels to play with!

    Denise :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I needed help with my first 3 chspters, I had about ten beta readers read them. Haha. I've never read a draft on my Kindle before but I plan to with my book I'm editing now. I hope it helps me find places that are lacking.

    Good luck with your edits! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm editing right now too. I hate editing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First chapters always get heavily revised. At least in my books! Good luck and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great offers of help there, take them up on it. I swear it takes 500,000 words to get a 100,000 word novel. It's write, re-write, edit and re-write and edit again, and again. :)
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have already gone through this with one of my novels that had 6 drafts and then got totally rewritten. ha.

      Delete
  7. My condolences on editing. I'm in the middle of an extensive rewrite myself. Had to do a big slash-and-burn of the first few chapters. Now slogging through the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love those slash 'n burn moments...but they seem to be the easy part.

      Delete
  8. They say most first chapters can be all but eliminated. That just might solve your problem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A good hacking is good for the soul. I'm in the middle of edits too and while it's frustrating and difficult and makes you question everything, seeing the results is truly satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best of luck with the editing.
    With every word cut, you're a step closer to satisfaction I'm sure. :)

    Let me know if you need a pair of eyes to read anything over.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tricia - always so difficult to wield the axe - I must do that to a talk I'm giving. However getting that first chapter right is such an essential - good luck with whichever way you go .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you're on the right track. A lot of people try "fixing" the first chapter, when really the story has been started in the wrong place.

    The solution is either to write an even earlier chapter, or to cut to later in the chapter. (Or cut the chapter entirely, depending on the situation.)

    Let me know if you want another set of eyes on that chapter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe send it to a beta. Maybe you're just getting tired of it after editing it over and over?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure editing is a chore, probably satisfying in the end, though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Editing, as I'm getting properly deeper into it myself, is a headache. You have your line edits, and then you realize that you have to rewrite a character's motivations and the snowball of effect of that changes the next three chapters. It's good that you're focusing on your 1st, but don't forget the entire work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!